Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Out From Under Tornado Watch

Close to 8 o'clock last night we were finishing up our last 5 or so patients at the clinic when Chicago's 115 emergency warning sirens started going off.  I had never heard a Tornado siren before so it took me a while to figure out what it was. Highrises were being evacuated to their basements, and cars were directed off of the Interstate. Rains were pouring at a predicted rate of 3-4 inches per hour, all at the mercy of 75 mph winds.  Patients were panicking and the windows were threatening to break. 
About 8:45 cars were back on the road and we were able to let patients leave. The wind settled enough that I could make it home, but I have never seen so much continuous lightning. The wind and rain stopped by for round two about 11 oclock and were still going strong when I finally fell asleep. I found a couple pictures on the Tribune's website.  Twisters did touch down in three Chicago suburbs. Winds were recorded at 94 mph over the lake one mile from our beach and there were 8,00o lightning strikes within one 10 minute segment in the greater Chicagoland. 
The view in this picture is very similar to the view from our place. You can see the Sears Tower being struck, my clinic is 2 blocks from it.
A small example of some of the damage.
Another storm photo.

2 comments:

Beth and Jewls said...

Glad you're safe and that you survived.. I'm at convention! Can't wait to see you!
-sis

Anonymous said...

Hey! Wow those pictures are freaky. Glad you were finally able to get some sleep. I can't wait to see you in just 2 days.