John and I had taken our bikes out for a ride around Juneau, and one of the ladies in our RV Park recommended a bike trail leading to Herbert Glacier. We decided to check it out and it was definitely worth the effort. We were a little worried about bears, as we were the only people for miles, but thanks to John's lovely singing didn't even see any tracks.
Our first view of Herbert Glacier. We left our bikes shortly after this and hiked the rest of the way.

The water was over the trail, which called for some minor fording.

The water was cold!!

Herbert Glacier

We made it!

We're preparing John for life in the real world. So far he has mastered brats, hamburgers, and chicken...it's kinda nice to have a cook!

Friday night there was a band playing in the park downtown and stores stayed open late for the locals, so we headed down to check it out.


We stopped in at the Red Dog Saloon for clam chowder and halibut....amazing...

On Saturday we bought fishing licenses and decided to try our luck out on some King Salmon. Considering the rod hours for Kings is currently around 70 we weren't expecting much.

After about 10 casts and 20 minutes of untangling line I decided that the red chair was the perfect suntanning location...John is much better at untangling than me.

Jason casting away....

....and John did eventually get to cast as well. He informed me that neither Jason nor him had and hang ups when they went out that evening without me......

Jason left for Haines today, and I will join him on Tuesday night and stay until Saturday. John and I still have a day left on our fishing licenses so we are heading to Douglas Island in the morning...I can already taste the salmon...
1 comment:
I could ask question after question about the fishing... about the scenery... about the copious amounts of fun available in a place like Southeast Alaska.. but, all I really wanna know is...
Well, didja????? Didja get a suntan in your longsleeve shirt, jeans and boots?!?! haha. love you!
-Bethers
Post a Comment